Monday, July 14, 2008

From NBN: "Aliyah for Dummies"

"Aliyah for Dummies"

What comes before the flights? What comes before the shippers, the pilot trip and the applications and forms? NBN Director of Pre-Aliyah, Doreet Freedman describes the very first steps when Aliyah is all but a sapling of an idea in our minds.

Here I am, listening to a Nefesh b'Nefesh worker's thoughts on Aliyah on "Radio NBN." Let's see if she has anything useful (to me) to say (I will try to keep an open mind; the "sapling of an idea in our minds" makes me hopeful for something good; the writing on the website -- not so much).



Doreet also studied for a "master's in Israel..."

Doreet ("D") helps people considering aliyah...."If you want to have a successful aliyah, you need to do your homework...."

I agree.

D: The "bureaucratic process...is just part of it...."

D, explaining the process....

  1. Appt. with aliyah shaliach, fill out paperwork (proof of Judaism); "Opening up a tik is free-of-charge"
  2. Download application with tik # from NBN
    • Who you are, "status issues," essay, references, letters of recommendation
    • Financial/services (social) aid, verification of financial status

D: re: Pilot trip. "We cannot accept people who have never been to Israel before..."

I know what I need to do!

D: re: community
"Community sketch guide" on the site.

D: "We will help you write a resume..." etc etc.

That sounds good for me, too.

"In Israel, they want to make sure that you're here first...."

Good thing I am and will be a student.

I wish there were more information about students in this "program"....

D: Sal klita calculator online, NBN gives a grant, too.

I will definitely look at the archives....

No comments:

Post a Comment