Thursday, June 19, 2008

Reason #7: I'm sick of English (some thoughts)

I was sitting on the train today and saw a relatively old-aged woman reading an "Introduction to Public Health" book. It made me imagine myself as an old person and still reading books in English.

I did not like the thought of that.

Here's what I thought of:

1. English seems like a weaker language to me. Hebrew is simpler than English.
Part of the reason is that Hebrew inflects. "I was dancing and singing" can be said in two "words" (or three). While this can be a disadvantage (no internal grammatical distinction between different past tenses: I was walking, vs. I walked), I'd prefer to lose something here and be able speak more concisely. While it also true that Hebrew can get unwieldy or awkward, it is concise much of the time.

2. English is not connected to the original Bible.

3. Hebrew is easier to speak more quickly in, it seems.
Part of it is Hebrew's ability to inflect.

4. English does not seem as quirky as Hebrew to me. I like quirky.
Part of it is Hebrew's ability to steal from other languages (like English) and part of it is Hebrew's need to adjust to modernity (I've read that many computer terms, for instance, are identical to ones used in English).

5. English is not a challenge for me.
This can be an advantage and a disadvantage, but I'll take it!

6. English does not open as large a world of discovery for me as does Hebrew.

7. I like that fewer people speak Hebrew.
While I'll lose some of the privacy that Hebrew affords me here, it is also true that I cannot use Hebrew to its full extent here. I cannot speak it. I am wondering how much I want that privacy.

8. I want to use Hebrew to its full extent.

. . . the list goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment