Thursday, June 19, 2008

Why Move?: Reason # 6

I had hoped this blog would be mostly positive, but I can't decide to go to Israel and not also decide to mostly leave America.

There was an article on the "25 Best Heavy Metal Bands" today and it made me wish Aviv Geffen was on it; of course, that feeling didn't really make sense. Aviv's music, which can generally described as Pop/Rock (which is itself a really broad categorization), is described as glam rock, (new) prog rock, post punk rock and others on such sources as Wikipedia. What really matters, though, is the feeling I had that Israeli artists should be included on it.

Israeli music is the kind I listen to, unlike user "craig c," who wrote, "So where is Motley Crue?[] I spent a lot of my youth listening to these bands and Crue was always there!" Unlike this user, I didn't get a chance to grow up listening to a band. I got my music from VH1 and Magic 106.7, which was my mom's favorite station. In my early high school days, and all through high school, my mom didn't let me listen to music (I am not blaming her; while it is also true that I had no time to listen to music, if listening to non-classical music was at least encouraged at home, things would have turned out differently; my mom might have wanted to do so to encourage me to maintain my Hebrew skills, for example). Instead, my youth and teenage years began and are still continuing through college. Israeli music is my new "youth."

I want to go to Israel because I want to read about my youth in the papers. I want lists to include Israeli artists. I don't even mind not knowing the bands, because then I will both enjoy the music and/or learn the language. I didn't know all of the bands on Rob O'Conner's [Yahoo's] list, but I am too sick of English to care. That is a subject for another post.

1 comment:

  1. Magic 106.7 sucks ass!

    http://earnestsludge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete