Monday, June 16, 2008

Why Move? -- Some Reasons

Because I keep going back and forth on whether or not I actually want to do this, I am going to make a partial list. Sure, it's not all original, but as long as it has meaning for me, it's worth it. It boils down to language, culture, and religious spirit.

Language-related reasons:
1. I want to think, read, write, and speak in Hebrew.
2. I want to go to a concert in Hebrew with ease, especially Aviv Geffen's concerts.
3. I want to buy Israeli music with ease.
4. I want to buy Israeli books with ease.
5. I want to immerse myself in the weird cultural world that is Israel. I will have the chance to discover a brand new world.

Other reasons:
1. I want people to tell me what they think -- none of this fake "and how are you?!" business, no smiles that hide cruel thoughts (it's not like that won't happen in Israel, but it won't be as sugar-covered as it is over here).
2. I want a better sense of community. I believe that at the end of the day, people are people and they will care about themselves, but I believe that there must be a little more community in Israel, or, more accurately, a greater attempt to create one.
3. I want to be in a young country.
4. I want my Judaism to be more "natural" in my country.

No comments:

Post a Comment