Sunday, June 29, 2008

Why Not Move: Cultural Reasons

The idea of moving is starting to worry me. Will I fit into Israeli culture, even assuming I had the language skills to discuss it?

More importantly, and here is a question I will definitely want to research: what is American culture? I don't feel like we have much of a culture here, other than "instant" success and hard work. I'm really not into the music, and I like different kinds of books. I'm not into movies, so what's left? What's so great about American culture?

In the spirit of American thinking, I am going to write -- without evidence from respectable sources, I know (all research and thinking done before September is preliminary) -- that American culture is what you make it, and that American culture is itself free from singular labels. For me, American culture is a melting pot (this is not something I like, necessarily). American culture is freedom. It is Bob Dylan and Ernest Hemingway.

It looks like, for me, American culture is something I can still enjoy from abroad. In Israel, I might have the privilege to enjoy something sometimes labeled as "only in Israel."

1 comment:

  1. I have never been more American than as a new immigrant in Israel. Or even as a 3.5 year old immigrant in Israel... I learn more about my American-ness every day, and I've had to realize that I will always be American as long as I live outside America. How's that for reality??

    ReplyDelete